Tuesday, July 31, 2018

windows 8 - Can't access BIOS and can't boot from USB when HDD is plugged in

I have a Samsung Ultrabook series 5 notebook (NP530U3C), and recently I've been tinkering with Linux distros. I've had a dualboot setup with Windows 8 and Linux on this computer before, and all went good until I installed Crunchbang.


After rebooting from the installation the Grub menu with Fedora (the previous distro, whose partition had since been occupied with Crunch) and Windows showed up. I went into the BIOS and changed the boot mode from UEFI to CSM (which I believe to be some sort of legacy mode). This allowed a different Grub menu with Crunchbang and Windows 8 to show up; however this was still not an optimal situation since Windows would not boot from this Grub menu (it did boot from the old "Fedora Grub"). Of course, I wanted a way to have both OSes boot from the same menu, and after some searching I came across and followed this tutorial: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21510


I must have screwed up, though, because at that point whenever I tried to access the BIOS again (F2 key), it would go straight to Grub. To make thing even worse, I believe the USB drive wasn't higher than the HDD/Windows bootloader in the boot device order at the time I lost access to the BIOS.


At last, I thought that deleting the Crunchbang and EFI partitions would allow me to break from this situation where I could neither boot from a USB drive not enter the BIOS to change the option that would allow me to. To delete them I put the HDD in another, older laptop and booted from a Gparted live USB.


As of now, when I boot the notebook with the HDD plugged in, I am redirected to a Grub-rescue terminal. If I turn the PC on without the HDD, I can boot from live USB drives, but so far I have not had success in hotplugging and having the live system recognize the HDD.


To sum this all up:
Can't access BIOS, no EFI partition, no Linux system.


Booting with HDD -> Can't boot from USB, cannot boot Windows 8, Grub-rescue prompt.


Booting without HDD -> Can boot live USBs.


If it is of any help, I can access the Windows recovery menu; however, I didn't have any luck solving my problem using it.


Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...