Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Any way to wipe a hard drive that won't mount?

I have an iMac and a 12-inch MacBook. I also have an external hard drive.


The hard drive won't mount on either machine. I can't see it in finder or in disk utility. The weird thing is that I can feel the drive spinning. I don't believe that it's ever been dropped or damaged, and it's designed specifically to withstand abuse.


When I asked Google this question, every answer was about sending it to a data recovery place, but I've duplicated this drive in a partition on my 3TB drive, so the data isn't important. Is there any way to simply wipe this drive clean and start over?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...