Thursday, July 19, 2018

Windows 7 machine rebooting during Backup & Restore

Over the last year my computer has been randomly(?) rebooting; I did a clean install of Windows 7 twice, checked temperatures, hard-drive diagnostics, did CPU stress tests & swapped out all the components except for the motherboard & harddrive to no avail. I had not experienced the issue for the last 2 months and forgot about it...



But then just today it happened again & found out how to reproduce this reboot on purpose during normal use.



I was setting up a first backup through the Backup & Restore menu and when I got to the last step in the wizard and clicked on "Backup now", the machine restarted itself.



When I go back into the Backup & Restore menu:

Menu
and click on "Manage Space" the machine reboots. I've done this 4 times now and it reboots every time. (Note this is the first time I set up this Backup scheduler, and it's off again now) I have looked through the Event viewer for anything suspicious but I didn't find anything.



What could be causing this? What actually happens during the Manage Backup and Backup now processes? Is there a way to turn on more verbose logging?



*EDIT: I also turned off "Automatically Restart" in Startup & Recovery settings, issue persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...