Sunday, July 15, 2018

Windows 10 Apps, right-clicking on Taskbar icons, Start Menu/Search Bar and clicking Windows System Tray icons all fail

So in the middle of the day (worked fine in the morning), I come to find out that all the crap listed in my Title starts to happen. Internet Explorer 11 also doesn't fully function: some sites fail to load or are incomplete. I am at my wit's end as I've already tried a number of "fixes" to no avail. Non-windows System tray icons function correctly (eg. Steam, Outlook 2013, nVidia, etc.)



  • Powershell command to reset Windows 10 Apps

  • ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES permissions up the wazoo to various folder/registries

  • System restore to 1 week ago and 3 weeks ago (oldest I have)

  • SFC and DISM commandline commands

  • I even made an empty profile and that didn't work either.


Everything works fine in SAFE mode, but that doesn't help me at all. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed because if a System Restore doesn't fix it, what short of a reset/reinstall of Windows 10 will?


Please tell me someone has something as I really don't want to do that. One "different" thing I have is that my Users folder is located away from my OS (C:) drive due to space restrictions of the SSD. Nothing has gone wrong in the 1 year I've had Windows 10 up until now.


Edit: Firefox became broke from Restores and I find out I can't even download files in IE 11. My PC is seriously borked. Had to get a USB from another PC.


Edit 2: This is the following error from Event Viewer whenever I try to Right-click something on the taskbar, if it helps. Geez, it looks like it's just another Windows 10 app that fails, argh.


Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.218, time stamp: 0x56ff3cf7
Faulting module name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.218, time stamp: 0x56ff3cf7
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000085831
Faulting process id: 0x2494
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1a8bbd9657856
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps
\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
Report Id: 89b411e9-b943-43da-85a5-3f094e99ad8a
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...