Monday, July 9, 2018

motherboard - CPU-Z, Bios and Windows all recognize other memory

My 16gb DDR3 arrived today (didn't have money to upgrade motherboard to DDR4). When I pulled out my other memory and put this one in it did the three beep "No memory detected" thing that Asus motherboards do. So I added back the other two RAM sticks I have and looked in Windows if the new stick can be found, downloaded CPU-Z and checked the BIOS:



  • CPU-Z detects my new RAM

  • Windows detects only my 2 old RAM sticks

  • BIOS detects all memory


Also, I had a problem earlier where my RAM didn't work with others, after which I gave up and just removed the 2x2gb sticks I had from my previous setup.


What can be the reason different software detects different hardware? Shouldn't Windows and CPU-Z get their information from the BIOS?


Setup:



  • Asus B150M-A D3

  • Intel Core i7-6700

  • Sapphire Dual-X R7 265

  • Crucial 8GB PC3-12800 (2x4gb)

  • Hewlett Packard Enterprise DDR3 16gb (1x16gb) (Recognized as Samsung? Guess they made it?)

  • Corsair VS450


CPU-Z:


enter image description here


CPU-Z only detects slot 3:


enter image description here


Windows:


enter image description here


BIOS:


enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...