Wednesday, July 11, 2018

ubuntu - username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop using VMware Player. I am not sure why but I have an account called "User Account" in addition to my account that I usually login to use Ubuntu. Well that was just a side comment but basically all I am trying to do is install the ncurses library on Ubuntu. I have tried installing ncurses using the following command lines:


sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
sudo apt-get install ncurses-dev

When I tried installing ncurses twice using the above commands I received the following prompt in the terminal:


[sudo] password for fsolano:

where fsolano is my username,
so if you like the above line can be expressed more generically as


[sudo] password for username:

When I type in my password I receive the following message:


fsolano is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

or more generically,


username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

So far I have tried enabling the root user account by following the instructions at this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo


Here are some of the things the link suggested to do:



  1. Allow another user to run sudo. Type the following in the command line:


    sudo adduser username sudo

  2. lLogging in as another user. Type the following in the command line:


    sudo -i -u username

  3. Enabling the root account. Type the following in the command line:


    sudo -i

    or


    sudo passwd root




I have tried all of the above command lines and after typing in each command I was prompted for my password. After I entered my password I received the same message as when I tried to install ncurses:


fsolano is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...