Saturday, July 21, 2018

Why do firewire drives on Mac OS cause processes to go into uninterruptible wait?

I have a Western Digital My Passport Studio external hard drive. It works with either Firewire 800 or USB 2.0. I've noticed that when I have it connected to Firewire, after a few hours, processes on my Mac start to go into an uninterruptible wait state. Eventually the system becomes so hard locked that I can't even shut it down. I have Spotlight indexing of the drive disabled, and the mds process seems to be the one that triggers this eventual system collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...