Thursday, April 20, 2017

Windows 7 fresh install won't boot without 2nd harddrive, missing boot partition?




I just tried to upgrade my wife's computer to an SSD for silence and speed.



To do the install I physically added the new SSD to an empty SATA port and then used the Windows 7 install disk to put a fresh copy on the SSD. During this process I left the original hard drive attached to the system. My wife then just copied the files she wanted from the old drive to the new SSD.



Yesterday, I removed the old drive and the SSD will not boot. It appears that the SSD is missing the boot sector altogether. It is also missing the recovery partition normally seen on Win 7 boot drives. It appears that the Win7 installer just used the boot loader on the original drive. I should have disconnected the original drive while I installed Win7 on the new SSD. Here is my question.



Is there a way for me to fix the SSD to be a stand alone boot drive?



I would rather not start over from the beginning because my wife has the new SSD all set up the way she likes it.




Thanks for any advice.



Pete


Answer



Yes you can.



Find out from diskpart,list disk,select disk 0,list partition,select partition #N,detail partition about what drive letter your windows drive has (say C:).



Then, bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS to regenerate all boot files.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...