Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Do the Atom motherboards from Intel support USB boot?


I was unable to find if the Atom boards manufactured by Intel (namely this one: http://ark.intel.com/products/48951/Intel-Desktop-Board-D425KT) support booting from USB.
The D425KT has only two SATA ports and I need to set up a software RAID during Linux installation. For that reason, I'd have to run the installation from a USB stick.


Answer



I am writing this from a computer running on a intel Atom D510MO. This motherboard is running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu installed from a USB stick. As far as I know, the next series (D425 / D525) were very similar to mine, so, I assume that your motherboard will be able to boot from USB.


In fact, the uncommon thing currently are motherboards unable to boot from USB.


I have also installed Linux distributions from USB sticks on other different Atom motherboards: Atom D270 from Asus, and Atom N550 from Jetway. Booting (and installing the operating system) from USB has never been a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...