Sunday, April 30, 2017

hard drive - Intel SRT (SSD caching) & SATA2/SATA3

I've just set up a new Z68 system, and since I had a spare SSD lying around from when I upgraded my netbook I figured I'd give SRT a shot. As it's an older SSD it's only on a 3Gbps port (highest xfer rate it supports), whereas the HDD it's caching (WD Blue 1TB) is on a 6Gbps port being SATA3.



Ideally, I'd have a SATA3 SSD caching the HDD, but as it stands now should I see any performance increases? I've heard SRT takes a bit to get rolling properly, and so far I haven't noticed a particular increase in responsiveness. My current SRT mode is maximum, meaning the SSD is first port of call for writes, which then writes back to the HDD when it has a chance.



Explicit Question: Should I expect any performance increase when using SRT with a SATA2 SSD caching a SATA3 HDD, or might I be better served by the "traditional" approach of manually allocating certain programs to the SSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...