Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Installing Windows XP from USB, PC refuses to boot working bootable USB

I have to reinstall Windows XP on my old PC. Installing via USB is the only option - the CD/DVD drive doesn't work anymore, as well as the floppy drive and the computer can't start, the startup just keep looping endlessly.


I made a bootable Windows XP flash drive from my laptop, I tested booting the USB on the laptop and it worked fine, the Windows XP setup started normally.


I plugged the USB in my PC, I adjusted the BIOS boot order accordingly, and the PC refuses to boot the flash drive.


Then I removed all options from the BIOS menu, and I left out USB as the only option (I removed floppy, CD, HDD) to force my PC to boot the USB.


I get:


"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key."


What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...