Thursday, April 20, 2017

Flash drive doesn't show up on Windows, but works on Ubuntu

I have a Corsair Flash Voyager GT with capacity of 16 GB bought roughly 5 years ago. It was working okay on all my computers, like a flash drive usually does. One day I lend it to my friend and when he brought it back, he told me he could not get it working. After that I could not get it working on any of my Windows systems too.


Symptoms:



  • The LED on flash drive doesn't blink;

  • The device is not present in Computer Management / Storage;

  • The device shows up under Other Devices / Unknown Device and Universal Serial Bus Controllers / Unknows Device in Device Manager;

  • Windows 7 also fails to find and install drivers for Unknown Device.


However, under Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook, the flash drive is fully operational: I could easily back up data from it, format it (however formatting did not help to get it running on Windows). FYI the filesystem was NTFS, reformatted as FAT, so that's hardly the issue.


In addition, I tried to plug this flash drive into freshly installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I read that it might be a driver problem. Unfortunately this was not of any help.


What can be cause of this? Given that the device is working okay in Ubuntu, I assume that the hardware itself is not damaged. And is there any way to fix it? If yes then how?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...