Monday, April 24, 2017

hard drive - Why sizes are different, and what do they mean?

I have a 1 TB hard drive that consists of one NTFS partition which I use to back up my data (no operating system). The size of all the data in it is : 726 GB, size on disk: 728 GB, and the used space when I check the properties is: 731 GB. There's a 5 GB difference between the size and the used space.


Why is that huge difference there?


What's the difference between these sizes? (size, size on disk, and used space)


Is there a way to calculate the difference, and be sure the HDD is not messing around?


Is that normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...