Saturday, April 29, 2017

How should I organize hard drive to share a drive if I use both Linux and Windows?

I use Linux for most of the things but I still need Windows sometimes. So, I have Linux Mint 14 and Windows 8 installed (dual-booting) on my computer.



Here's a screenshot of the output of sudo fdisk -l command:



1




  • sda1: The 350 MB partition Windows 8 allocates (I still don't know why.)

  • sda2: Windows installation


  • sda3: My shared NTFS drive

  • sda5: Linux Mint 14 installation

  • sda6: Swap area for Linux Mint



Most of my files are in sda3 which I share between the two OSs (kind of like my backup partition). I can access to it from both operating systems. However, sometimes my files gets corrupted.



Example: I recently downloaded Eclipse and extracted it to a folder in sda3 drive in Linux Mint. It was working fine. Then when I switched to Windows, it asked me to repair my drives because there were some errors. I accepted, Windows did some scanning and restarted. When I switched back to Linux Mint, I noticed that Eclipse wasn't working. When I checked, most of the files in Eclipse folder were corrupted. Similar things happen other way around as well. Sometimes I'm not able to see and/or open files in Windows that I created/downloaded in Linux Mint. I'm tired of losing files like this.



I know this can be a hardware issue too. My computer is kind of old. But if it is not, is there a better way to share a drive than what I currently do (a separate NTFS partition for both)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...