Friday, April 28, 2017

Setting correct permissions after Windows reinstall

I have had to reinstall Windows on my laptop, I installed Windows without formatting because I had my data files and folder on there including on the root folder for example C:\my_projects etc


Now as I have installed new OS win 7, when I open up these folder I get permission errors, these project folders have very very deep structure and contain numerous files.


When I check permissions at the top of the folder it shows lot of Account Unknown items in the Groups and users. Furthermore the ownership of folder is Unknown when seen from the advance permissions.


So the question is how do I change these permissions/security/ownership at the top level without doing it for sub folders so that I have access back to my folders and it is more like default folders and also I remove those unknown user entries from all subfolders/files.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...