Sunday, April 30, 2017

How do I set a DCO on a hard drive over USB?


I dropped my hard drive (a 320 GB WD Scorpio Blue, model number WD3200BEVT) and I want to create a Device Configuration Overlay over the bad sectors.


The highest LBA on the drive is 6xxxxxxxx , and the bad sectors start around 4xxxxxxxx; I figure I can use around 210 GB of drive.


I purchased and installed a new Seagate notebook drive, and connected the old, damaged drive via USB. I copied my files off the damaged disk.


In the olden days, I could create a DCO using HDAT2. As a test, I tried to remove a preexisting DCO, but I couldn't remove it with HDAT2. I was able to remove it with Ubuntu's hdparm utility. I then tested the sectors to come up with a range of good sectors.


Now I want to create a new DCO, but I'm unable to. HDAT2 doesn't recognize SMART or SATA commands. I tried Ubuntu, but I can't find any commands on hdparm to create a DCO.


The damaged hard drive is unusable because it is too slow. When I remove access to the bad sectors via DCO, it should speed up.


What can I do to create a DCO in this situation?


Answer




Connected old drive via usb

Now I want re enable dco. But I can't. Because hdat2 not necgonized s.m.a.r.t and s-ata commands.



That’s why.


In general, SMART data and advanced or non-standard settings and commands are just not supported when connected via USB or RAID.


There are a (very) few drive+controller+software(OS/driver/program) combinations that will work for this, but unfortunately yours doesn’t seem to be one of them.


You will need to connected it directly to the SATA controller, enable the DCO, then connected it back to the USB adapter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...