Monday, April 24, 2017

windows 10 - Boot error loop -> /rebuildbcd error and cant set active volume

Background



After my sister's three months of vacation with no internet access, she got home and there were many updates for Windows 10 and Norton installed.
After reboot Windows didn't start. Instead "the boot configuration data is missing some required information" showed up.
I got a photo of it, but can't read the error code. It's something like 0x0000? The file is BCD though.




To solve this, her dude added her SSD disk in his own computer and according to them some sort of repair process finished successfully.



Then he put her SSD back in her laptop, after Windows automatic repair process it got stuck and Windows complains about RecEnv.exe "memory could not be read" (RecEnv.exe is Windows recovery environment).



Here is my diskpart list



Click here to see my Disk part list



Things I've done





  • I have created a Windows 10 32/64bits UEFI GPT formatted bootable USB so I can get to the command prompt


  • Memory tests through HPs utility have passed


  • CHKDSK /R passed; no bad sectors on all discs.

  • Sfc /scannow reaches verification 100% complete, but error:




Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation






  • bootrec /fixmbr ok

  • bootrec /fixboot ok

  • bootrec /rebuildbcd error:




The requested system device cannot be found






  • After this I tried to assign volume 4 the FAT32 disc letter N:

  • bcdboot bcdboot c:\windows /l sv-se /s N: error:




cannot copy boot files





UPDATE




  • bcdboot bcdboot c:\windows /l sv-se /s N: /F ALL BFSVC Error:




Failed to validate boot manager checksum
(C:Windows\boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi)!
Error code = 0xc1 Failure when attempting to copy boot files





So something is wrong with bootmgfw.efi. How do I solve that?



I copied the bootmgfw.efi from X:\windows\boot\efi to the same folder on the C: partition and VOILA! then I was able to bcdboot bcdboot c:\windows /l sv-se /s N: /F ALL



Next problem Windows can't start because of ntosext.sys error code 0x000007b. Seems like the whole Windows has been messed up somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...