Wednesday, April 19, 2017

microsoft excel - Saving an .xls file to .xlsx reduces its file size by 500mb, is this caused by compression?

I have a .xls file with PivotTables that is 500mb large, and when I convert it to an .xlsx format, it drops to a mere 5mb. Even after clicking Data>Refresh All which refreshes the PivotCaches, the file size remains small. The same size reduction occurs if I save as .xlsm or .xlsb.


Microsoft's documentation states that XML format and ZIP container is much more memory efficient than binary documents. I have no reason to believe data loss or corruption occurred as functionality remains the same, is compression a plausible explanation for such a drastic (90%) reduction in file size? Is there a way to actually test that the file size reduction was caused by the compression?


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...