Sunday, April 16, 2017

How to Unregister Windows aero hotkeys?


Salve! I just switched from WindowsXP to Windows7. Now, I want to use the global hotkeys win+right, win+left, shift+win+right, etc., for something else, but find that they are already taken by Windows (I believe they are assigned globally to aero-snap or aero-something).


I tried adding the NoWinKeys entry in the registry, and so disabled the win+r command, but it didn't work for those other keys!


I also switched the theme to a normal, non-aero theme without any transparency, but that didn't help either. I even used Ultimate Windows Tweaker to Disable Aero Shake feature and Disable Aero Snap feature and Disable Aero Peek too - but to no avail.


How can I disable those keys so I can assign them to something else?


Answer



You can use AutoHotkey to intercept each Win+xxx command and reassign a different keystroke to it. For example, you could have it recognize Win+Left as Ctrl+Win+Left, which you would then assign to the task you wanted the original Win+Left to accomplish.


Basic key intercepts and assignments like that are fairly simple. For example, I use OneNote a lot, but I don't like some of the keystrokes it uses. To open a Quick Note (which I don't use) is Win+N, but to open OneNote itself (which I do use) is Win+Shift+N. The script to reassign Win+N to act as Win+Shift+N is as simple as this: #n::Send #N


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...