Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Unable to upgrade Windows 10 edition from Home to Pro


I have a Lenovo laptop which upgraded from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Home.


I have a (legitimate) Windows 10 Pro key which I ran through the "Change Product Key" wizard.


After a reboot I get an error which states "We couldn't upgrade your edition" and asks me to try again or seek help from my system administrator (me!) or Microsoft.


There is nothing in the event logs except Info entries in the Setup log stating it failed to change the installed state to Pro Edition with a hex error code (I don't have access to the laptop right now, I will update later with the full log details)


Googling the hex error code led me to a Windows 7 KB Article regarding Windows Update failure due to locked files. The article stepped through using MSCONFIG to perform a clean boot which I did, but still got the error.


Any pointers on how to upgrade this laptop? Or will I have to get the sledgehammer out and do a clean install?


Answer



I had exactly this problem.


I solved it buy obtaining a new Windows 10 Home key from msdn and then changing the product key (also via the settings-> Activation window). After doing this I then repeating the attempt to update to Pro (with legit key) via the store.


My guess is that whatever I had as a key was not eligable for the upgrade combination i was trying via the store.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...