Monday, May 20, 2019

mac - Wireless NAS for media storage and browsing


I'd like to purchase a NAS to use for media storage, mostly pictures, as well as for storing IP camera video feeds and occasional time machine (mac) backups. Currently, I have an old 2 drive NAS that I use for this, but the biggest pain point is in browsing photos over AFP or SMB from my Mac - it's basically unusable - photo previews take too long to load. This is my most important use case - being able to browse/manage photos stored on my NAS from my Mac, ideally, wirelessly (my wife doesn't want to have to plug into something to browse photos).


Is this possible? I was thinking a 4 bay NAS with 1 drive dedicated for videos and the other drives for media might be good (photos I'd like in at least RAID 1 since I don't want to lose them). Any hardware options I should consider? Any storage arrangements I should consider or networking?


Answer



I suggest Synology (DS416, DS216).
They are stable and, i hope, affordable.
Use wired connection from your NAS to the Router/Switch. Your wife will still be able to connect over WLAN to the device (tru the existing AP). WLAN is always slower.



  • Try to keep your folders small (not 1000 photos in one folder).

  • DON'T do Raid 5. Raid 1 is fine on performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...