Tuesday, May 21, 2019

performance - Installing software on Windows 7 very slow



Since a few days, any software installation on my Windows 7 computer is very slow. This is on a Windows 7 64bit setup of just a few weeks old (new computer).




I've waited for over an hour for VirtualBox to install. Same for AVG AntiVirus and some other programs. Cancelling the installation equally takes a very long time. Effectively, I've had to kill the installation processes.



Process Explorer doesn't show any significant activity of any kind and everything else still seems to be working fine and fast. Any ideas of what might be wrong?


Answer



I had much the same issue after reinstalling Win7 64bit on my SSD C Drive, though the C drive behaved fine. Trying to install programs, copy or delete large files to/from a partition on my existing D drive (a SATA HDD) took forever (hours) or hung as you describe. This partition had the remnants of old installs such as bckups of 'My documents' together with the programs that ran from the last install of Windows (which had become very unstable). In safe mode transfers to and from this partition to an external HDD happened at normal speed however and chkdsk revealed no errors.
The only cure I could find (as a non-techie) was to delete the D partition, re-create and re-format. Now everything installs/deletes as it should.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...