Tuesday, May 14, 2019

boot - Installed new RAM, but computer now runs slower

My motherboard has four slots for RAM. Three of these contain identical StarRam 1Gb DDR2 667Mhz sticks, and the fourth had been unoccupied. I decided to buy a fourth stick for this slot, and since StarRam seems to have gone out of business I went for a Crucial 1Gb DDR2 667Mhz stick instead. I assumed this would be close enough, but since installing the new stick my computer boots and runs very slowly. The motherboard specs says it supports dual channel memory (the slots are colour-coded) and can handle up to 8Gb. There are options in the BIOS for changing the frequency and voltage of the memory, but I'm not sure what to change.
Is there a way to make the new stick of RAM work with the existing memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...