Monday, May 13, 2019

Restoring Windows FileExplorer as default for folder association. | Win10 |


I started using Q-dir parallel to the inbuilt Windows10 FileExplorer.
Even though I like it much for project focused file management,
I made a move that I regretted by now and cannot revert for some reason:


It has an option to "associate with folder links"
After setting that, even if I open FE with Win+E hotkey for a quick interaction,
when clicking on any folder within FE it opens up Q-dir automatically.


I have unticked the option since then in Q-dir, but that did not restore the original way.
I have looked around under File assotiations and program defaults to restore it manually, but the problem is that:



  • Folders are not listed under file type assotiations.

  • File Explorer itself has only these protocol assotiations available.: 'Burn to Disc' / 'Erase Disc' / 'Zipselection' / 'Search'


Does anybody know, what registry key should be edited to what value
or if there is a simpler solution that I did not recognise?


Answer



Use regedit and navigate to the the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\.
Check for a sub-key whose name is similar to Q-dir and delete it,
then reboot.


If this does not solve the problem, verify also that the item (default)
is empty in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...