Friday, May 10, 2019

hard drive - Slow file operations, possible I/O error but chkdsk says OK



I've recently faced a strange problem. I use Directory Opus file manager that suddenly started to report an I/O error when trying to copy files onto one of my disks. The Windows Explorer did copy those files but it was extremely slow.



I run chkdsk on this drive (ca. 300GB) and it took it over two days to complete! However it reported no errors found.



I run Hard Disk Sentinel that says the drive is OK.




But the files still read and write extremely slow! Can anyone advise me what to do? I have a spare space I am copying my files for backup now but should I get rid of this disk? Or can I try to "heal" it somehow?



Many thanks for your ideas!


Answer



I would try the Acronis drive monitor to confirm that it is OK. It's free.



EDIT As per your comments on the original post you got a message similar to "Degradated" ... I suggest you back up and replace the hard drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...