Sunday, May 12, 2019

text editing - How can I avoid using the cursor keys in Notepad++?


I've started programming after an 8 year break. I'm using Notepad++ and I like it, but taking my hand away from the main keyboard to the cursor keys to get around the file is really slowing me down.


What methods of file / sentence / character navigation are there that use keyboard shortcuts instead of cursor keys? I know there's a shortcut editor in Notepad++ - how do I assign a shortcut for the cursor keys to, say, Ctrl + J for right and Ctrl + F for left?


Answer



Go to


Settings -> Shortcut mapper -> Scintilla commands -> 33 SCI_CHARLEFT

and do the following:



  1. Click Modify.

  2. Check CTRL.

  3. Select ,.

  4. Click Add -> OK -> Close.


Now you can press the left arrow key or CTRL + ,.


You could also define CTRL + F for this, but that is the default shortcut for the search.


If you want to, you will have to disable the other shortcut in


Settings -> Shortcut mapper -> Main menu -> 46 Find...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...