Friday, May 24, 2019

cpu - Segmentation fault while installing any linux distro (or windows)

I'm need of a little help from you.


I'm having troubles while installing any distribution of Linux (or even Windows) in a computer .. I never had troubles installing an operating system in this computer (I assembled this computer while I was in college.. circa year 2004)



  • Motherboard: PC Chips m863g v. 7

  • Processor: AMD Sempron 2400+ (1.6 Ghz)

  • RAM: 1 GB

  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB RAM)


Originally, to make my motherboard to detect my Processor as an AMD Sempron 2400+ I had to set the CPU frequency at 166 Mhz. It worked OK this way for several years.


Some months before, I started to have some troubles with the computer, as I had Windows on it. Since then, I have tried to install Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu and some other Linux distros with no success.


When I try to install any Linux distribution, I get an Segmentation fault error just after the boot screen / splash screen of the installation media. .


I tried to run MemTest images and it completes successfully every time (so I discarded the RAM module as the source of the problem)


The funny thing is that, if I reduce the CPU frequency to 133 Mhz, the errors don't appear anymore, and let me install the operating system (despite the resulting installation is quite slow).


So my questions are:



  • Why would the PC throw segmentation faults on CPU Frequency @ 166 Mhz but working fine at @ 133 Mhz?

  • Is there any software tool useful for diagnose this kind of errors in hardware?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...