Monday, January 22, 2018

Windows batch file not running when I double click, how to restore association with cmd.exe?

Windows 8 64-bit. The user I'm logged in as has admin rights. When I open a cmd windows the window title even says "Administrator: cmd.exe".


So, I set my .bat file association to have the .bat file opened in Notepad++, and now I can't set it back to run the bat file when I double click on it. I've tried several web pages which told me to edit the registry to no avail.


When I do try to merge a .reg file into my PC, I get an error "You do not have permissions" or something. My user is not "administrator" but my user "chuck" does have admin rights. It always has.



  1. I tried this method, the .reg file merged without error this time, but when I double click on a .bat file it still opens in Notepad++. I downloaded the file to change the .bat file assoc only. Do I have to restart the PC?


  2. I also tried making the registry edits here: click here. It didn't work either.


  3. The .bat file extension cannot be changed in the Associate File Extension with a Program in the Control panel. When I try to associate cmd.exe with a .bat file I get an error like "You cannot associate that program with this file."


  4. I found this link but there is no .bat file entry under FileExts. Also on this link I have no no UserChoice key to delete for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.b‌​at\UserChoice.


  5. Rebooted PC, I still have the same problem. I will make sure Notepad++ is not restoring associations with itself each time it runs. EDIT: As far as NPP preferences are concerned, it does not register .bat files.



Any more ideas? I have been dealing with this for 3 months off and on now.


NOTE: Some fixes for this problem work on Windows 7 but DO NOT work on Windows 8.




UPDATE: Fixed it. I had to



  1. Make a shortcut to regedt32.exe on my desktop.

  2. Right click shortcut and do "Run As Administrator", even though my user has admin rights.

  3. Search the whole registry for the string "notepad" whereon I found the sneaky little thing here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\\**Roaming**\OpenWith\FileExts\\.bat and deleted the UserChoice item.

  4. Reboot windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...