Tuesday, January 16, 2018

windows 7 - Can the "copying" step from 7zip be sped up?


I use 7Zip to extract compressed files.


I am currently working with a compressed 7GB RAR file that expands to 55.6GB.


I understand the time it takes to unzip the file, but then I have to sit and wait while the file "copies" from a temp folder (e.g. D:\Users\Ray\AppData\Local\Temp) to an extraction folder (D:\MyBackupFolder).


enter image description here


Since this is essentially just a move, I would think this would almost be instantaneous.


As noted above by my directories above, the folders are on the same Drive (1TB HDD), but my OS is installed on an 80GB SSD (if that matters).


Can this copying process be sped up somehow?


Answer



When all else fails, read the FAQ:



Why does drag-and-drop archive extraction from 7-Zip to Explorer use
temp files?


7-Zip doesn't know folder path of drop target. Only Windows Explorer
knows exact drop target. And Windows Explorer needs files (drag
source) as decompressed files on disk. So 7-Zip extracts files from
archive to temp folder and then 7-Zip notifies Windows Explorer about
paths of these temp files. Then Windows Explorer copies these files to
drop target folder.


> To avoid temp file usage, you can use Extract command of 7-Zip or
drag-and-drop from 7-Zip to 7-Zip.



I just tested it and, instead of "Drag & Drop", I can use "Extract Here" from the context menu and there's no delay after extraction:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...