Sunday, January 28, 2018

networking - Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to a switch by their LAN ports for multiple connection options?

My goal is to be able to have a client connected using a wired Ethernet connection to a switch and have the choice between two networks using the one cable.


The basic setup I have goes like this:


wide demo pic


At the moment the Tp-Link router is connected to the switch by it's WAN port, but I can change the cables around as per anyone's suggestion.


The Tp-Link router is on a separate subnet. My idea is to have a server and a few clients on the Tp-Link subnet so they can all talk to each other and for that network to be separate from my main network (ATT). This way the devices on the Tp-Link subnet can not "see" the devices on my main network. I then want to connect my laptop to one cable so that it can function on my main network, but then I can toggle to the Tp-Link subnet to manage the server on it.


Example:


I plug my laptop into a cable that connects to my switch. I can click on the network icon and see 2 separate wired networks (as though my laptop had more than one Ethernet port, but only one is connected). I can then choose which network I send data through (toggle between the two networks). This would be analogous to switching between WiFi networks detected by a single WiFi adapter.


How might I achieve this?


If there is any other information I can add please comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...