Saturday, January 27, 2018

partitioning - How to remove the windows 7 bootloader from my OEM partition?

I have a laptop with an OEM partition containing the files for a recovery of Windows XP. In the past I've used this OEM partition by setting it active and let the computer boot it. It would automatically start its recovery procedure.


What I've done to end up in the situation that I have now:
I have deleted all partitions on the harddrive except the OEM partition. I installed Windows 7 to this harddrive, which worked perfectly, however, since the OEM partition was active it has installed its bootloader to this partition. (Windows 7 seems to install it's bootloader on another partition when it gets the chance). Since I didn't want to bootloader to be on the OEM partition I have made a partion other than the OEM partition active and again deleted all partitions except the OEM partition. Then I reinstalled windows 7 and it has created a seperate partition for it's bootloader.


So now I have the Windows 7 partition, a 100MB partition created by the Windows installer containing it's bootloader, and the OEM partition. However the OEM partition still contains the previous bootloader which no serves no purpose any more. In fact, if I now turn the OEM partion active it will start that bootloader rather than initiate the OEM recovery procedure. How can I remove this Windows 7 bootloader from the OEM partition and restore the OEM partition's recovery procedure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...