Friday, January 19, 2018

Ubuntu installation on USB flash drive will not boot

Here's the partitioning I've done during Ubuntu install:
https://youtu.be/BcRnqqybMIQ



  • installing OS: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit AMD64

  • device: Asus x205ta

  • Ubuntu bootable USB drive created and BOOTIA32.EFI obtained from Internet inserted to /EFI/BOOT/ directory in bootable USB drive.

  • Currently trying to install ubuntu to a 2nd flash drive. My intention is to keep this 2nd flash drive connected to ASUS X205TA at all times and create dual boot system. (Windows 8.1 w/ bing + Ubuntu 14.04)

  • Partitioning during installation is shown in the above video.

  • /dev/sdb is the 2nd flash drive (Sandisk Ultra 32 GB)

  • created three partitions

    1. swap (2 G)

    2. ESP (EFI system partition) (~100 MB)

    3. ext4 space for Ubuntu (remaining space)



Bootloader installed in ESP so that UEFI will recognize it.


After installing this way, ASUS x205ta failed to boot Ubuntu from 2nd drive.


I'm guessing since the UEFI is 32-bit, I should also copy the BOOTIA32.EFI that I used to recognize the first flash drive also into ESP in the second flash drive.


However, I cannot access this partition. It doesn't have any format.


enter image description here


'Disk2' is the 2nd flash drive where Ubuntu is installed. For some reason all the partitions do not have file format. ESP should be the smallest partition among those three partitions but since it doesn't have any file format I can't even access it to copy/paste BOOTIA32.EFI.


How can I get this Ubuntu flash drive bootable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...