Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Advice on laptop battery life




I am planning to buy a laptop and, as I have never had a laptop of my own before, I have started to read up on the best way to charge a laptop so as not to damage battery life.
Is it all right to charge it to 100%, unplug the charger, let the battery drain to something like 30% and then repeat? Furthermore, does using the laptop while the charger is plugged in harm the battery? I believe that it doesn't, but I just want to make sure that this is the case.
EDIT: I am referring to Lithium-ion batteries.


Answer



You need to know that:




  • Rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries have a limited life and will gradually lose
    their capacity to hold a charge, and this is irreversible.

  • Lithium-Ion batteries continue to slowly discharge (self-discharge) even when
    not in use or while in storage.

  • Avoid completely discharging batteries.


  • Lithium-ion batteries don't like being charged all the way up and run all the
    way down. Better to do little recharging here and there.

  • Experts advise that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries
    to almost completely discharge once, but never totally.
    (But I don't think that most people bother with it.)

  • You can leave your laptop plugged in all the time, and you cannot
    overcharge it. Most laptops are smart enough to cut the battery out of
    charging once it's full.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...