Saturday, January 13, 2018

hard drive - Upgrading HDD but decreasing rpm

I bought a HP desktop computer (pre-built) last year, wich had a 256GB SSD that has Windows installed on it, along with a 1TB standard HDD, that is 7200rpm.



However, im now running out of space on the 1TB HDD, so im considering replacing it with a higher capacity HDD. I found a few choices of different brands(WD,seagate..), but all of them are all 5400rpm instead of my actual 7200rpm.



So my question is, would downgrading to a 5400rpm really makes a noticeable difference in speed? Does it affect read and write speed of the HDD?



I mainly use my actual 7200rpm HDD to put files-or big programs and few big PC games- on it. I would say my main use of it is to backup files, or put files that dont fit in the SSD on it. I sometimes play those big games that are installed on the 7200rpm HDD, but not that often. Im guessing in the case of playing a game, theres probably a big difference in term of speed between the 7200 and 5400rpm?




Should I still try finding and paying more to buy a 7200rpm, or should the 5400rpm be fine, considering my use of it?



In case it might help for my question, my cpu is an Intel Core i5-8400 along with 12GB of RAM



Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...