Monday, January 8, 2018

Are laptop hard drives fairly generic, or do I need to be careful to get the right one for my computer model?



I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, and the hard drive is failing and I'd like to get a new one.




What I'm wondering is, do I need to buy a hard drive specific to my computer model, or are laptop harddrives usually fairly generic? (If that's the case then I can shop around for the best value.)


Answer



Laptop hard drives are fairly generic. There are 2 major things to check for:




  1. Interface type.

  2. Drive height.




For interfaces, SATA is the current standard, with IDE (also seen as PATA sometimes) being an older standard. laptop IDE drives are still being sold, so make sure that you're not buying one of those, since your laptop uses SATA hard drives. IDE drives are not very common anymore though.



Regarding drive height, most laptops are designed to accept 9.5mm high drives, and most laptop drives are built to this height. There is a lesser used standard for 12.5mm hard drives which is less common. AFAIK, only a few 12.5mm drives are readily available, mostly the extremely high capacity 750 GB and 1 TB laptop drives.



Beyond that, it's all about features and performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...