Monday, January 15, 2018

macos - How to upgrade the hard drive in a MacBook Pro?



I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard that I want to upgrade to a new larger hard drive. I also have a current Time Machine backup on an external USB drive and an external SATA case I that I can put a 2.5" drive in.



What's the best procedure for transferring the existing installation to the new drive?


Answer



For instructions on how to replace the hard drive simply follow the step-by-step instructions in the MacBook Pro Unibody manual available here for the 13" Model for example. You can find your specific manual here



The process I followed on my MacBook was:





  • Put new HDD in external casing

  • Use SuperDuper to copy the original drive to the external drive

  • Boot off external drive to ensure everything works

  • Physically remove the drive and replace using the instructions in the mentioned manual

  • Boot MacBook with the new HDD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...