Sunday, January 28, 2018

troubleshooting - Unable to progress on Windows XP to Vista upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade Windows XP Pro to Vista Ultimate, and I don't want to do a clean install. The upgrade gets most of the way through the last step in the list of tasks (after about two hours) and then aborts with the following error:



The upgrade was not successful.



It then restores the system back to XP.


When I look in the setuperr.log file (in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther, created during the upgrade), the last error in the file is the following:



2009-10-31 21:17:55, Error [0x080390] MIG Failure while calling IPostApply->PostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\drmmgrtn.dll", CLSID={743B7FD2-8427-4b7d-B330-A95618DE2BFC}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}.
Error: 0x80070057



I've searched the net for all of the keywords in that error, but haven't found a solution. I've also called Microsoft and paid for a support case, but so far they haven't been able to figure it out either.


I did, however, find a related question, Troubleshooting failed upgrade to Windows 7? about upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.


The file mentioned in the error, drmmgrtn.dll, wasn't on my machine. I can see that it's part of the Vista install (in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\dlmanifests\microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-drm-dl) so I'm assuming that the installer is trying to load it but can't for some reason.


Looking at the properties of the file, I can see that it's called DRM Migration DLL, from Microsoft. I tried removing every program I could think of that might interfere with DRM, but it always fails at the same place with that same error.


I've also done the following:



  • Used msconfig to boot into Selective Startup mode, with only Microsoft services running.

  • Uninstalled AVG Anti-Virus, Nero, Nvidia display driver, Power DVD, and Windows Media Player.

  • Copied the contents of the Vista install DVD to the hard drive and run it from there.

  • Checked Event Viewer, but found no errors at the time the installation was aborted.


Anyone have any other ideas to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...