Wednesday, August 16, 2017

windows 8 - Why access denied for user within permitted group?

First let me start off by saying that I'm not an IT expert, and I've just been experimenting a lot lately with sharing and permissions in Windows 8.1. I've reached a point of extreme confusion right now and I can't find anything online.




Since I'm not running a professional edition of Windows 8.1, I've had to use the net LOCALGROUP command in the command prompt to add users to groups etc.



I basically made a LOCALGROUP called HomeSecure, and added two users (AdminOne and AdminTwo) to it. Both of these users are also in the Administrators group and are indeed administrator accounts in Windows. It sounds pointless but it's because I'm attempting to manually simulate HomeGroup functionality, and plan to add non-administrator accounts from other workstations using the net GROUP command instead once I've got the basics.



I have checked, and the commands worked just fine. The administrator accounts are in that group. The confusion comes about when I remove absolutely all user and group permissions (including Everyone) from my C:\Users\AdminOne and C:\Users\AdminTwo folders except Administrators and SYSTEM, then proceed to add allow permissions for the HomeSecure group...



All of the groups I gave Full Control of the folders to. I went into the advanced settings and made sure everything was checked, and even made the HomeSecure group take ownership of the folders. It's also worth mentioning that I made all of the child objects inherit the owners and permissions of these folders.



But even after all of that, I still can't access the above folders from the network using HomeSecure members. I also can't access them straight from C:\ without it prompting me for administrative consent.




Accessing via the network, I get: You do not have permission to access ----- Contact your network administrator to request access.



Accessing via C:\, I get: You currently don't have permission to access this folder. Click continue to permanently get access to this folder.



If I press continue, all that Windows does is add allow permissions for the current user (AdminOne or AdminTwo) which seems redundant because they were already allowed? They were already allowed via the HomeSecure permissions?



Why? Shouldn't AdminOne and AdminTwo be allowed to access both folders normally since they are in the HomeSecure group?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...