Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Deleted Recovery partition on Dell XPS 13. Now unable to boot into windows 7


Mine is Dell xps 13 ultrabook shipped with windows 7. I thought of installing ubuntu, so I unknowingly deleted recovery partition, formatted it and installed ubuntu. Now ubuntu is working fine. But in grub, I am not able to see windows. So I followed this tutorial How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems - How-To Geek to fix my windows. But it didnt work


In second screenshot, Windows 7 option didnt appear. I clicked next and did Startup repair which didnt help and then went to command prompt to execute the two commands


bootrec /fixmbr


bootrec /fixboot


The first command executed successfully but the second command gave me an error "the volume does not contain a recognized file system"


How can I recover my windows . Please help. I need windows badly


Thanks!


Answer



Finally got the solution. In case if someone else also faces similar problem, here is the solution


1)Some times system repair may not work


2)Its because C partition may not be active - In my case atleast this happend - so fix is - First make it active - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71432-partition-mark-active.html


3)Now try system repair. It works :)


So be careful while deleting recovery partition. If you delete it, make the main partition active and then try system repair.


Thanks guys :)


I just shared all my dual booting experience here - in case - it can help some one - http://rajeshksv.blogspot.in/2012/10/how-to-fix-dual-booting-issues-windows.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...