Thursday, August 31, 2017

memory - How do calculate which RAM option would be faster?

I've been reading DDR and related info on wikipedia but am still not sure I know anything.



I have a Fujitsu Celsius w340 workstation with the following:





  • Memory Speed: 533 MHz

  • Memory Specification Compliance: PC2-4300

  • Dual Channel

  • Configuration Features: 2 x 512 MB



I have 2 x 512MB PC2-3200 sticks (which is what it came with) and I have a stick of 2GB PC2-6400.



Now I've replaced the two sticks with the one so that I have 2GB to run windows 7 and there's not really a problem. But in future I would like to know what I'm doing so I have to ask and can't figure it out.




Which is faster?



There doesn't seem to be any information on what "Memory Specification Compliance" is.



I also can't figure out if "Memory Speed" is the memory clock or the I/O bus clock, and I would be lying if I said I know exactly what either of those are. Is the I/O clock the FSB and is that what "Memory Speed" of the motherboard referring to?



And does the fact that my Windows7 installation is 32bit matter?



I know the PC2-6400 is theoretically twice as fast as PC2-3200 but would the 6400 be operating at it's full potential or would the advantage of Dual Channel on the two 3200 sticks outperform it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...