Thursday, August 31, 2017

autocomplete - Vim completion - always suppress the newline after I select a suggestion with the Enter key



Sometimes, after I select a suggestion (from the completion pop-up that appears when pressing Ctrl-N) using the Enter key, Vim will insert a newline and the cursor will be moved to the following line. This doesn't always happen - it seems that Vim tries to be smart about it and will only move me to the next line if it thinks this is what I would like.



However, I want to disable this behavior (because it is not always smart) so that I will always have to move to the next line by myself by manually pressing the Enter key. Is this possible?


Answer



What Vim does in response to your typing the key while using insert completion depends on the state of the completion menu. The behavior of the menu is described here:




:help ins-completion-menu


and the behavior of various keys when using insert completion is described in the next section,



:help popupmenu-keys


where it explains that the behavior of the key depends on the menu state. As I understand it, typing inserts a newline except in the case where you have selected a match from the menu using cursor keys.




The best way to avoid inserting a newline when you don't want one is to terminate or make a selection using some other key such as Ctrl-Y or Ctrl-E.



See also



:help complete_CTRL-Y


and for the entire description if insert-mode completion,



:help ins-completion


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...