Friday, August 25, 2017

My Windows 7 64 bits is choppy. How to make it work?


I got last summer a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with Windows 7 64 bits preinstalled. It just works very poor. It feels... choppy. Compiling a large program 4-5 seconds. All programs are less responsive.


On Windows 32 it takes 1.5 seconds. It seems to be because it takes quite a while until the CPU frequency switches from low power state to 100%. Is this a know problem with all 64bit OS?


Initially I worked with the software/drivers preinstalled by Toshiba (an believe there were few GB of garbage preinstalled). Then I reinstalled and I put only the (minimum set of) drivers and no garbage utility software.
The laptop is as choppy as before.


Answer



I switched to Win 7 32 bits and everything works smooth now.
I guess we will have to wait until MS optimizes this (relatively) new 64 bit OS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...