Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Where to get Windows Retail CDs?






So I am starting a position as a contractor for an on-site tech company. They recommend having installation CDs for each OS. In the past, I'd tell customers to re-order their recovery CDs, which wouldn't work in this case.


I saw TechNet you can download full software, but that's insanely expensive [$200] for just the downloads. Is there ANYWHERE else I could gain access to just the CDs/DVDs without the licenses? I can't afford to pay $200 out of pocket for that.


Answer



Since all you need is the media, I'd recommend Bittorrent, but with the qualification that you need to be very careful what you download.


Only download well-recommended files with many seeds to minimize the chance of getting a cracked copy.


Also, searching for the full and correct name of an ISO should help minimize possible malware. Then always mount the ISO's and run full scans with a few different malware tools and AV scanners just to be completely sure.


Before I worked someplace that had TechNet this is what I did for years, and taking these and other common-sense precautions I have never found I was using a bad or cracked disk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...