Sunday, August 6, 2017

windows 7 - WD 2 TB External Hard Drive not Showing up in Computer

I had the internal hard drive in my HPTouchSmart 600 (Windsows 7 64bit) replaced. When I got it home, I plugged in my WD 2 TB external hard drive. It worked fine. Within the next 24 hrs something happened. The drive no longer shows up in 'Computer'.


The Drive shows up in the Device Manager as:



  • WD My Book 1140 USB Device


In Device Properties on the Volumes Tab:



  • Disk: Disk1

  • Type: Unknown

  • Status: Not Initialized

  • Partition Style: Not Applicable

  • Capacity: 1907697 MB

  • Unallocated Space: 0 MB

  • Reserved Space: 0 MB


When I open the Disk Manager, I receive the following Pop-Up:




You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.
Select Disks:
[] Disk 1
Use the following partition style for the selected disks:
() MBR(Master Boot Record)
() GPT (GUID Partition Table)
Note: The GPT partition style is not recognized by all previous versions of Windows....
[OK] [Cancel]



This disk contains several hundred movies which would take significant amount of time to re-burn. I tried the External drive on my laptop and it no longer shows up there either. Is my data gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...