Tuesday, August 15, 2017

windows 7 - safe to delete EFI system partition (win7) on old drive after cloning?

a while back I cloned my old installation of win7 from my HDD to a new SSD using the tools provided by Samsung (if I remember correctly). I know I should have done a clean new install, but that's not the issue ;) Afterwards I changed the drive letters (which required a huge amount of research and some fiddling with the registry, but that might have been an error on my side, moving to fast), so that the SSD is my new C:\ and the HDD got to be K:\


The old drive is still in my computer, but it's no longer being used. When trying to set up a regular backup to the old HDD (which I should have done a while back, I know), windows told me the drive contained the windows recovery environment. From my understanding the Windows RE is in the EFI System Partition, right? My partition manager shows an ESP on both the SSD and the HDD, both 100 MB in size. I'm guessing it got cloned, too, but I'm not sure.


The question now is: I it safe to delete the old ESP on the HDD, or could that result in loosing the windows RE or worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...