Friday, August 25, 2017

Disable "Remember my credentials" on Windows 7 Home Premium


I would like to disable the ability to save network passwords (when connecting to \computer\share) on Windows 7 Home Premium.


password prompt


On Windows XP there was a registry setting to disable the checkbox "Save password" for network shares:


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]
"disabledomaincreds"=dword:00000001

However on Windows 7 it doesn't work.


It is written that you can disable it in GPO in the following place:


\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

However GPO is not available on Home Premium. I know you can hack GPO onto HP, but I would like to have a simple reg setting for this policy.


Do you know what is the reg value for the above setting?


Answer



I realize this is an old question, but I just faced a similar problem. On Windows 7 Pro, you can prevent the credentials from being saved by setting


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet \Control\Lsa\disabledomaincreds


to 1. Maybe using the setting in ControlSet001 was your issue. However, this won't "disable" the check-box, it will just make it useless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...