Friday, August 18, 2017

networking - Computer wakes up when called by ip

I have a Z97 motherboard from ASUS (windows 10), setup to work with wake on lan in uefi and windows settings:



  • In the uefi settings I enabled wake on pci express from APM settings

  • in windows, device manager, network cards, it's checked to only wake on magic PACKET, not pattern (pattern is disabled)


problem is, i can wake it up by simply calling the ip address


No wake on lan packets are sent. I just do a node js script that calls the ip of the computer and it powers on the pc


I did check with the powercfg utility to see if there are any armed devices and such, only the NIC is armed (which is should be for wol to work). also, -lastwake option doesn't say anything (wake history count - 0)


Other patterns that I noticed:



  • if I shutdown windows -> run script -> powers on by ip

  • if I shutdown windows -> turn off PSU -> turn on PSU -> run script ->
    DOES NOT power on by ip. it DOES power on by wol (which is good)


I'm thinking if maybe there's something wrong with how windows shuts down the computer? I did try the "complete shutdown" using a shortcut for "shutdown /s /t 0" with the same result though.


just for infos, the script i'm running is this, so nothing fancy:


var request = require("request");
request({
url: "http://192.168.1.9/",
body: "",
method: "GET",
timeout: 3000,
}, function(error, response, body) {
console.log('done');
});

not sure what else i could try

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...