Saturday, August 26, 2017

Screen flicker after booting Windows

The problem I'm experiencing is that when I boot Windows, when I reach the login screen, my display starts flickering/flashing. (Basically it turns entirely grey or black about once or twice per second.) It also seems to freeze my PC temporarily; while the screen is grey I cannot move the mouse cursor or otherwise interact with Windows. I'm forced to restart my PC and try again. Usually I get lucky after 3-4 restart attempts. When Windows boots into the Advanced Startup Options menu and I select "Continue" (which is Microsoft speak for "reboot"), it almost always boots without the flickering and I'm able to use my PC.


To clarify: The flickering only happens immediately after booting, at the login screen. If it doesn't occur then, it won't occur later either and I'm safe until I reboot. I can even log out and back in without any risk.


I think the problem is related to my graphics driver (AMD), because it (almost) never occurs if I uninstall all AMD software. However, the problem still exists if I install an older version of the graphics driver (one that used to work before this issue appeared), so I'm not 100% sure.



  • Flickering either occurs at the login screen or doesn't occur at all

  • Sometimes the flickering starts automatically, other times it begins when I interact with the login screen (by clicking or pressing enter)

  • Flickering almost never occurs when booting from Advanced Startup Options menu

  • Flickering hasn't occured in Safe Mode so far Flickering can occur even in Safe Mode.

  • Not sure if relevant, but often after a successful boot, some of the icons in my task bar notification area do not render

  • Flickering is limited to Windows; nonexistant on linux (just in case anyone thought it was a hardware problem)

  • In order to test if the flickering exists, I have often rebooted my PC without doing anything - boot, login, reboot, login, reboot. This usually let me boot without any problems, which made it difficult to test if a "fix" worked or not. I'm starting to think that the flickering only occurs if I've actually used the PC before rebooting - maybe I have to start a certain program for it to occur?



  • Disabled "AMD External Events Utility" service

  • Disabled "Windows Error Reporting Service" and "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" services

  • Disabled all non-windows services

  • Reinstalled graphics driver

  • Installed older graphics driver

  • Disabled graphics card (through device manager -> right click -> disable device)

  • Reinstalled Windows (multiple times, but the issue existed every single time)

  • Turned on automatic login to bypass the login screen. PC then boots into a black screen instead.


What can I do to fix or further diagnose this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...