Thursday, August 24, 2017

ubuntu - what to use instead of laptop-mode?




I have Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit on HP 6735s (turion processor). it overheats, and i'm forced to use turion power control in order to keep core temperature to a reasonable level.
one more measure that i use is putting my processors to conservative mode. that way, i'm perfectly happy with its performance, and heat is where it should be.



however, after my latest upgrade, something happened - cores are back to on demand by default, and I'm not sure if turion power control is working any more (ps axu | grep urion shows no process). in addition, i read somewhere that laptop-mode uses hdd spindown for preserving data/energy, and that hdds have only a limited amount of those spindowns, so laptop-mode usage can actually shorten the life of my hdd.



I'm wondering if there is a good way to set my cores to automatically go to conservative mode? also, what's the good way to see what is the voltage my cores use? on windows i use cpuz tools.


Answer



I use the cpufrequtils package to do similar things. I generally tend to leave the governor set to ondemand and limit the upper bound of processor speed. You can, however, also change the governor using these tools.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...