Thursday, August 31, 2017

hard drive - HDD shows up as "no data" on it and can't be initialized in Windows


I have a physically undamaged 2.5 inch HDD (Hitachi 5400RPM 320GB) when I connect it with an sata to usb convertor windows doesn't react on it. When I open the windows disk management software it shows up. With this messages:



  • No data


  • Not initialized



Googling gave me the results only in cases when you can create a partition but in my case it doesn't even show up as unallocated. Also I took of the PCB to clean the contact pads but nothing changed.
What could I possibly do to recover this drive? (Not the data just the functionality)


Answer



After dissembling the drive I saw that one of the platters was damaged. On the outer side (I think that important data to initialize correctly is stored there). There where several black lines that where scratches from a reading head that fell off. That again demonstrates that hard drives can't be diagnosed at home without harm for them. So to recover data I recommend don't even try to fix it yourself because you can cause data damage so that no company could recover it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...